To assist the Head of Actuarial in the preparation of actuarial reports as necessary and to support the
actuarial function in accordance with current best practice. The post holder will be required to manage
a team comprising of junior actuarial students. Communicating complex, technical information to a
variety of audiences will be key to the success of this role. Along with the ability to grasp complex
actuarial concepts the post holder will be required to sometimes work independently and also as a
team leader. The team interacts closely with the Finance team, wider internal teams and other
companies within the Group including the parent company. Understanding and knowledge of the
company's products and business model is also key to ensuring delivery of the required outputs.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Economic Value
- Solvency Capital Requirements
- Value of New Business
- Business Plan Projections
- Delivery of analysis of actuarial results, using actuarial judgement and analytical skills, to produce high quality analysis of key metrics for use by company and group management teams
- Undertaking experience investigations and setting best estimate assumptions
- Regular development and improvement of the reporting processes
- Remain up to date with current and forward thinking actuarial techniques and good practice.
- Develop understanding of the mechanics of the IRIS actuarial projections model used and the assumptions underpinning the model
- Good understanding of the ORSA process and delivery of ORSA scenario projections
- Work with internal and external auditors with the aim of ensuring effective audits
- Improving the Governance Framework
- Ad-hoc Pricing support
- Operational Risk Quantifications
- Ad-hoc with-profits work
- Key information is delivered to the required standard within the agreed timescales.
- Regular interaction with internal stakeholders to ensure the efficacy of the information provided.
- Up to date on key developments in actuarial services.
Knowledge - Experience or qualifications
- Experience of working in a busy actuarial team.
- Newly or Nearly* qualified Actuary (* must be prepared to conclude qualification)
- At a minimum, a 2:1 or better in a Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent numerical degree.
- Experience and understanding of actuarial regulatory requirements in the Isle of Man and the UK
- Ability to develop, manage and lead a high performance actuarial team with proven experience of having done so in the past
- Good written and verbal communication skills - able to interact with senior management and communicate technical content clearly (to all levels) including to other non-technical managers
- Ability to work independently where required on actuarial measures, using actuarial experience and judgement, to ensure results are delivered on time to the required quality
- Methodical, accurate, able to work with a number of challenging deadlines
- Excellent communication; capable of influencing nontechnical managers