Automation / Infrastructure engineer
£500 per day. Outside IR35.
Remote working. Blended Approach between office (Edinburgh) and home working when safe.
An experienced Automation / Infrastructure engineer is required to assist Registers of Scotland in the design and build of new network technology
Registers of Scotland is on a journey to move from projects on-premise to products in the cloud.
The Site Resilience team is one of several teams established to enable RoS to deliver high quality and resilient digital products. The team is multi-functional with a strong collaborative and agile culture.
Collaboratively design and deliver:
- An automation platform to support integration of an Arista solution using appropriate tooling, such as ansible/Tower, GIT, Artifactory and python
- An orchestration pipeline and test environment to provide additional assurance before production
- Continued development and support of existing python codebase for wider infrastructure platform.
- Demonstrate excellent, sustainable and collaborative software development practices focused on delivering highly maintainable and readable code and other appropriate artefacts.
- Actively participate in all team events, leading where specialist knowledge is required, and supporting the team to improve their processes through inspection and adaptation.
- Engage with the wider RoS communities of practice and share knowledge, technique and experience.
- Routinely use collaborative development practices, such as pairing and mobbing techniques in programming, code reviews, system design and requirements analysis, etc.
Some of these services may need to be provided outside of RoS' core business hours (07:30-17:30) in order to ensure continuity of service. The successful supplier is expected to plan and manage their working hours accordingly
Significant commercial experience of the following technology:
- WAN/LAN process
- Switching technology
- Layer 3 routing technologies
- RESTful APIs
- Ansible, preferably including Ansible Tower
- Database integration
Significant and demonstrable experience of the following:
- Designing and developing infrastructure as code, automation of SDNs and orchestration
- Delivering high quality code collaboratively in high-performing, cross-functional teams.
- Designing, gaining consensus, and implementing technical solutions
- Agile working practices and principles, including Kanban, retrospectives, VFQ.
- Risk awareness, focused on risk reduction and mitigation
- Strong attention to detail
- Effective team working and technical decision making
- Quality focused, due care and attention taken to ensure solutions and platform meet their quality criteria and the team standards
- Creativity - taking new approaches to tackle problems; embracing innovation and sharing knowledge with a range of sources and stakeholders
Strong proponent of automation in design and implementation
- Working with CI/CD pipelines to automate delivery - preferably with Arista AVD and the Cloudvision portal
- Using Test Driven Development (TDD) and Pair Programming to produce high quality, maintainable code
- Working with wider assurance function to ensure DR / BCP design, and testing procedures are well established and performant
- General security design and architecture knowledge
- VMWare, VSphere, VCentre API
- NetAPP SDK API
- Solaris OVM