6 month contract
Fully Remote Working
early November Start
You will lead the Portfolio Investment function. This role reports to the Head of Portfolio Management and will work closely with stakeholders across multiple transformation programmes.
The post holder will be the expert lead on portfolio analysis; business case development and investment analysis to deliver value for money options and meet with HM Treasury and Cabinet Office requirements; benefits realisation management; assurance and scrutiny of the Portfolio.
There will be a requirement to work closely with senior leaders across the organisation in our providing quality information and advice to inform decision making and ensure we are delivering the optimal Portfolio to realise its strategic ambition and successfully deliver transformational change.
The post holder will have a strong background in investment and options/portfolio analysis and benefits realisation management. Further, you will have the ability to adapt traditional methods and processes to both support Agile working and maintain levels of required scrutiny and assurance.
You will have the experience necessary to provide assurance to senior leaders through the provision of quality information and professional advice. You will be able to demonstrate that you are comfortable working with senior stakeholders and are able to lead a best in class service.
Skills and Experience
- Proven technical accounting knowledge and understanding, evidenced either by a formal accounting qualification (CCAB or CIMA) or significant relevant financial management experience
- Knowledge and experience of multiple delivery methodologies and extensive experience of complex business case development and benefits management.
- An expert in interpersonal and communication skills with a proven record of establishing, building and maintaining strong, collaborative and productive relationships across functional and organisational boundaries.
- An expert in driving action through the principle of continuous improvement and development, throughout a complex technical and diverse organisation.
- An expert at effectively managing relationships with and influencing senior stakeholders, producing clear advice on complex issues.
- An expert, focused on delivery of outcomes, who can work under pressure, respond quickly and decisively to changing circumstances and to a tight timetable.
- A track record of fostering a leadership culture that is oriented to tangible delivery outcomes.
- Proven ability to organise a complex workload, to prioritise, and manage rapidly changing demands and priorities but essentially to model positive behaviours that reflect the corporate values and culture.
Hold a valid Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) or Management of Portfolio (MoP) practitioner certificate
- Provide expert advice and resource to Programmes, Projects and business areas in the development of business cases to ensure they are robust, deliver value for money, identify the way forward with the optimum Return on Investment and in line with HMT requirements (HMT Green Book, HMT Better Business Case and the 5 Case Model). This may include:
- Options generation / appraisal workshops
- Prioritisation and sequencing activity
- Benefit identification / valuation workshops
- Cost / benefit analysis
- Optimism bias
- Drafting specific sections of a business case (eg the Census Transformation Programme Economic Case)
- Advises on and leads the internal business case process ensuring that it is lean and appropriate for each investment
- Runs the Key Holder Approval Group to provide comprehensive support to Programmes in the development of business cases ensuring that investment recommendations to Portfolio Committee are robust and focussed
- Supports the Head of Portfolio Design and the Finance Director in the stakeholder engagement of external approvers HMT and Cabinet Office
- Subject matter expert for benefits management, providing advice, resource and expertise to Programmes, Projects and Business Areas (in line with Axelos Managing Benefits)
- Provides strategic leadership for Portfolio Prioritisation ensuring that the Investment Portfolio is the best use of the investment funding to achieve the Strategy and Transformation (in line with Axelos Management of Portfolio)
- Supporting as one of the representatives for engagement on Investment Portfolio matters
- Manages the secretariat services of Portfolio Committee and Key Holder Approval Group
- Provides training and awareness-building sessions on any of the above.