Clerical Matcher/Proof Readers x 8
- Pay - £13 to £15 per hour, 37 hours a week, Self-employed contractor positions
- Role location: Fareham, Onsite. COVID safe environment and cleared by Government
- Deadline for Applicatons: Friday 12th March 2021 at Noon
Want to be part of Census 2021? Then we have a role for you.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within a project that will help to deliver quality outputs for Census 2021. The role provides support to Census by comparing information within data records from Census returns and a follow up survey called the Census Coverage Survey. By making the comparisons you will be helping work out how many people have been missed and also find anyone who may have completed a questionnaire twice. The comparisons you make will help with decisions on planning and funding services in your community.
Interested? Join the team and make a lasting impact.
We are looking for people to who can work to a very high level of accuracy to ensure correct decisions are made - the more similarities and differences that can be found correctly, the better the estimation process for Census outputs is.
- Do you have an eye for detail?
- Can you work quickly and accurately to spot similarities or differences?
- Do you like problem solving?
Tell me more…To complete our task we will be joining the Census returns and follow up survey together. This is called 'matching'. When we match our data, much of our matching is automated but clerical matching is the term we use to describe when the more complex cases, that cannot be determined automatically, are reviewed by a human who would then use their judgement and the presented evidence to decide whether the two (or more) options provided to them represent the same person, address or household.
Working on the clerical matching exercise for the 2021 Census, you will review data records and questionnaire images using our bespoke data matching system, newly developed for Census 2021, to establish whether clerical matches can and should be made.
The post-holder will make or review matches that need to be made with a high degree of accuracy to prevent false positives (matches that should not be made) and false negatives (not making matches that should be made), on time, and to the agreed specification using the new digital environment and software tools.
The post-holder will be expected to develop experience in using the Clerical Matching System (relevant training will be provided).
Please note: Successful candidates will be required to work from the Titchfield Office during specified working hours and adhere to official Covid and office specific Covid guidance.
* Review of data records and questionnaire images to establish whether clerical matches can be made
* Review of automated matches to determine whether they are correct
* Searching for possible matches using bespoke tools and the supporting information provided
* To work with colleagues to develop and improve clerical matching strategies where possible
* Reviewing clerical matches and quality assuring matches made by the clerical matchers
* Produce management information as and when required
* Provide Quality Assurance to ensure matches are managed and reported in a consistent and appropriate way and can be accepted
* Complies with and oversees compliance with Data Protection Policies.
* Complies with, and oversees compliance with, the Computer Misuse Act.
Skills and Experience
* Awareness of what is required of them in their role and how this contributes to team and Departmental priorities
* The use of basic tools for analysis
* Understanding results from available data and carries out appropriate quality assurance. (eg individual matchers being slower or less accurate in the matching process, inconsistencies etc)
* Takes responsibility for the quality of own work and keeps manager informed of how the work is progressing
* Effective and accurate decision-making skills
* A logical and methodical approach to problem solving
* Ability to work well alone and as part of a team
* Good levels of literacy and numeracy
* Uses attention to detail and available resources to verify and quality assure information and to provide additional training where necessary and is able to apply real-world understanding to presented scenarios
* Proven organisational skills to deliver against set deadlines, with an attention to detail
* Logical and creative thinking.
* Analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Able to work independently and take responsibility.
* Uses own initiative
* A thorough and organised approach
* Good numerical and literacy skills.
* Ability to manage a team
It is desirable that you also have:
* SC level security vetting clearance.
* An awareness of the balance between quality and timeliness when making decisions
* Experience of working with large datasets
* Knowledge of clerical matching techniques and processes
* Ability to develop and share effective ways of working to colleagues
* Good level of computer literacy
* Experience of managing staff