COVID 19 - Head of Research and Development
3-month contract - likely extension
A key leadership role as Head of Research and Development, you are responsible for COVIDx, the £7m research and development arm of our surveillance surveys. Your high-level research objective is to enable the evidence-based re-design of the surveillance studies to improve their cost-effectiveness, efficiency and quality. Having worked to comprehensively understand, prioritise and evidence the research requirements, you will design, commission and ensure the delivery of the subsequent research. You will focus on the potential for immediate quick wins, while also considering the need for larger, longer term research. You will also ensure appropriate horizon scanning and will network, influence and exploit the global research on COVID-19 to the benefit of the survey
CIS - Covid Infection Survey
- Leadership - You will contribute to the broader strategic leadership of the survey, working collaboratively with colleagues in the CIS Senior Management team so that it acts as one. A visible champion for COVIDx, you will set a clear direction for the programme which will deliver the high impact required.
- Research Design - You are responsible for identifying the research requirements on the CIS and across the broader portfolio of surveillance studies. You will ensure these are evidenced by analysis and prioritised and you will subsequently develop a research strategy and programme that meets these requirements.
- Research Delivery - You will develop a delivery plan for COVIDx, considering internal and external resources and commissioning the required research as required. You will work with these research projects to support and ensure their delivery and that the impact of their research is maximised.
- Horizon Scanning and Research Exploitation - You will maintain a comprehensive understanding of relevant COVID-19 and surveillance research, conducting horizon scanning as required and working with this external research community to the benefit of COVIDx.
- Stakeholder Management - You are responsible for building a close and effective working relationship with colleagues across ONS and externally to understand research requirements and deliver COVIDx.
- Management - You will have direct line management of a small team of colleagues.
- Integration - The CIS is one of several surveillance studies sponsored by DHSC and one of several surveys. You will be responsible for working closely with these other surveys to ensure an integrated programme of research is conducted that meets collective requirements.
- Risk/Issue Management - You will proactively manage the risks and issues inherent in your research.
- Evidence of a comprehensive technical background of one or more of the following: scientific research and research exploitation, survey design and delivery, data collection systems or methods, analytical or statistical outputs, operational analysis or data science.
- Successfully delivering a safe, high quality and efficient service, project or operation.
- Managing a team, building capability and supporting your people to excel
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to engage staff at all levels using a range of media
- Experience managing complex stakeholder relations and demanding customers
- Operating successfully across organisational boundaries