Director of Digital, Data and Technology
- contract, 3 months initially
- Inside IR35
- Fully Remote Working
- Overall authority of large Government Data Department
The Government, in agreement with Cabinet, has identified improving the use and sharing of data as a key enabler to delivering its priorities. The Director for Government Data Initiatives is responsible for leading the delivery and implementation of this highly visible and complex cross-government programme of work.
The ambition with improving data use is to increase connectivity and interoperability to deliver transformative change that will improve the workings of government and the lives of citizens.
The Director is responsible for delivering the strategy to transform the way data is managed, used and shared across government, unlocking its potential to increase efficiency, improve policy and decision- making and provide better public services. The strategy and its delivery are overseen by the Government Digital Data and Technology (DDaT) Steering Group (GDSG), a cross government ministerial group.
The Director is also responsible for the delivery of the contributions to the overarching priority of improving the use of government data. This includes overall responsibility for the development and delivery of the strategy for integrated data, specifically as Senior Responsible Owner (SRO) for the Integrated Data Platform (IDP) programme and the partnership with Health Data Research UK (HDR UK). These two programmes are critical to delivering the cross-cutting analytical platform for government and beyond. A key element to the delivery is providing access to users external to government such as researchers, local government, academics and think tanks. At the centre of the integrated data strategy is working in partnership with other providers of analysis and analytical platforms, to ensure the broadest use and access to linked data.
The role reaches right across government with a need to build confidence and credibility with senior ministers and officials and with key external stakeholders. It requires an ability to influence and form alliances across government to align data initiatives in other departments such as the Government Digital Service (GDS), Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and the government-wide analytical function to build support and ensure the delivery of the overall objectives.
Your ability to lead and inspire is essential and the drive to build trusted senior relationships is critical. With an enquiring mind and a bias for action you must be able to build and maintain a deep knowledge of data across government to ensure the successful delivery of the government's objectives. You will be comfortable challenging the status quo, championing new approaches and simplifying complexity. An individual with a strong background in data, analysis and delivery of large, complex, cross-cutting programmes is required.
TYPICAL ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Senior Responsible Owner: Government DDaT Steering Group (GDSG)
- Senior Responsible Owner: Integrated Delivery Plan (IDP) Deliver the Full Business Case (FBC) and the benefits articulated therein;
- Deliver the GDSG objectives to demonstrate a clear improvement in the use of data through a series of lighthouse projects;
- Increase public acceptability of the use of data in government;
- In partnership with HM Treasury (HMT), use Spending Review 2020 to drive improvements in the use and sharing of data across government;
- Keep the GDSG informed of the current status of the programme, identifying relevant risks and issues where appropriate;
- Create and deliver a coherent approach to the use of integrated data across government, including operational and analytical data, aligning relevant data initiatives in departments;
- Stakeholder engagement and communications to build cross-government support for improving the use of data;
- Ensure coherent, overarching narrative for government data in seeking funding through the Spending Review, budget, programme business cases etc;
- Develop the strategic approach to delivery, including the delivery plan;
- Ensure IDP delivers required elements to support the GDSG objectives;
- Ensure delivery of lighthouse projects within the programme both addresses systemic blockers and delivers innovative analytical outcomes.
- Navigate Whitehall to develop excellent cross-government relationships with senior stakeholders across government, including Ministers, Chief Scientific Advisers, Chief Data Officers, Cabinet Office, HMT, policy leads and the wider analytical community to build influential coalition to deliver the improved use of data across government.