- Data Engineer
- Home working
- £21-£24 per hour, Inside IR35
- 3 Months initially, likely to extend
- Deadline Wednesday 14th October 2020
The EDVP will seek ways to revolutionise how Energy Sector Data and related UK Government Statistical Data might be made more visible on the Web through repositories of Linked Open Data containing data from across the sector and Government; and building products and services fit for a modern age. As part of this, we are creating automated processes of transforming the data published from across Government that will underpin a reimagined data-driven service for our users.
TYPICAL ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
As a data engineer, you will work with your squad on the complex task of transforming data from across the energy sector and Government, with the leading of squads where required; shaping the data ready for publication in the GSS Data system.
You will use your specialist experience around data analysis, data transformation and software engineering to:
* Communicating and managing a variety of stakeholders.
* Work with both structured and semi-structured statistical data, in spreadsheets and other formats such as JSON, to interpret data and data-lineage concepts by using data science and data manipulation skills to design, develop and implement the various tools and techniques required for the extract, transform and load processes to prepare the data
* Be a practitioner in the use of applicable technologies and tools
* Build key statistical RAPs; identifying process and software component inefficiencies and optimising them to ensure optimal performance; using software engineering practices to design, develop, test (functional and non-functional), enable continuous integration, deployment and maintenance of reusable and efficient code.
* Maintain and support services by identifying, locating and competently fixing faults, and taking proactive actions to avoid service disruption.
* Contribute to documenting component architecture and processes.
* Contribute to the team regarding agile and scrum activities by interpreting technical project requirements into appropriate work packages.
* A passion for data engineering, possess strong development skills and have the enthusiasm for building data pipelines with supporting infrastructure for reliability and resilience.
* DevOps experience is core to the role coupled with data analysis and basic DBA-type skills.
* An interest in finding new and innovative ways that technology can be used to make data meaningful for everyone.
* Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical people.
* Stakeholder communication and management; including influencing, facilitation & negotiation across organisational, technical and political boundaries.
* Bring a clear focus on continuous improvement, proposing changes in procedures and processes.
* Promoting an open and collaborative working environment across your own team and wider organisation.
* Managing multidisciplinary teams; coaching staff and encouraging best practice adopted across teams.