Database (Infrastructure) Engineer - Central Government
Installing OpenRoad on Linux servers and on laptops.
- PART-TIME 20 Hrs per week
- Active SC Clearance ideally - would consider candidates without
- fully Remote - must be UK based
- 3 months initially
- Deadline: 12 Noon 12/01/22
- Ingres software installation and Configuration
- Ingres for database software installation and net client installations for use with application servers and application servers using OpenRoad.
- post-base s/w installation activities.
- Installing OpenRoad on Linux servers and on laptops.
- Monitoring and Administration using the Ingres monitoring and admin tools:
- accessdb - utility for adding/removing users; creation of ingres data locations, etc.
- cbf - configuration by forms - used to configure your installation.
- ipm - interactive process monitor - monitoring ingres processes running on the dbms servers; interrogating the current logging and locking system status.
- Checkpointing databases and restoring from checkpoints.
- Troubleshooting s/w issues under daily running and during ingres shutdown and startup.
- Experience of liaising with software supplier Actian, to resolve issues quickly and effectively. (Someone with most of the skills on this sheet would probably have dealt with Actian.)
- Dealing with ad-hoc problems raised by application support teams.
- Knowledge of programming using ABF, SQL and OpenRoad allows for quicker insights into queries from applications support teams dbas
Operating System and Network:
- Thorough knowledge of o/s commands for Ingres admin tasks - ideally o/s admin level knowledge.
- Good working knowledge of Unix scripting techniques to create and maintain scripts.
- Knowledge of SSH/SCP for moving files between servers and WinSCP for moving files between Linux and Windows.
- Understanding of o/s level backups to collaborate effectively with Veeam/Netbackup team.
- Knowledge of relationship between application servers and database servers using Netutil and the concept of 'bridge servers'.
Skills and Experience:
Database Administration skills for Actian Ingres version 11 upwards
Actian OpenRoad administration version 11 upwards
Red Hat Linux scripting v7 upwards
Virtual server technology (VMWare)