£350-400 Outside IR35
Remote for foreseeable. Mainly remote working for the foreseeable future, except where access to physical hardware is required, which will be on-site at either Edinburgh Offices.
An experienced database engineer is required to assist in the migration of databases from on-premise to AWS, and the support and enhancement of existing on-premise databases.
The Enablement teams provide platforms that Development teams use to develop products that support Operational colleagues in their registration work. The Customer Facing domain is one of six product domains established to enable RoS to develop and support high quality and resilient digital products. The team is multifunctional with a strong collaborative and agile culture, who have a track record of rapidly delivering incremental customer-value. The domain seeks to integrate its products and data to provide an improved customer journey. To support this, database engineering services are required inside the domain that can participate in both the administration of databases, and the development of products that interact with those databases.
- Migrate on-prem Postgres databases to AWS (Customer Case, ScotLIS, RoS-id, SAF, Creditor) ensuring new databases are defined in code and deployed through pipelines.
- Support migration of current MongoDB estate from 3.X to 4.4
- Collect, analyse, and document the legacy database estate.
- Work with Domain Architects to develop an incremental roadmap for the separation of legacy schemas and database to logical domains.
- Ensure existing on prem standards for monitoring, security, backups and disaster recovery are met or exceeded whilst migrating databases to AWS.
Collaborate with colleagues, including the Product Manager, to define, refine and prioritise the database roadmap and backlog
Continued development and support of RoS' database platforms in line with the product and architecture roadmaps, including but not limited to:
- Ensuring appropriate access controls are in place, monitored and adhered to o Managing, monitoring and improving performance of databases to meet user needs
- Collaboratively assisting with the re-platforming/re-development of existing applications
- Conceptually designing new databases and database changes
- Collaboratively supporting data modelling activities
- Reviewing designs to meet system storage requirements
- Updating, installing and testing new versions and upgrades to databases
- Developing appropriate documentation and artefacts, e.g. data standards, local work instructions o Developing, managing and testing back-up and recovery plans
- Ensuring storage and archiving procedures function correctly
- Planning capacity
- Troubleshooting and resolving database related issues
Actively participating in all team events, leading where specialist knowledge in required, and supporting the team to improve their process through inspection and adaptation.
Actively participating in all relevant communities of practice and governance
Some of these services may need to be provided outside of core business hours (07:30-17:30) in order to ensure continuity of service. The successful supplier is expected plan and manage their working hours accordingly.
Significant and demonstrable commercial experience in the following areas:
- Database security and tuning
- Postgres and associated extensions: o repmgr o pglogical o Barman o PostGIS o pgbadger o pgbouncer
- Other database products, including.: o MS SQL o Informix o Oracle o MongoDB
- Large-scale data and database migration projects
- Data replication and high-availability technology
- Configuration and testing of disaster recovery procedures
- Database monitoring, using Telegraf, InfluxDB and Grafana
- Working in Agile delivery models
- Working in a cross-functional DevOps environment
- Commercial experience of the following:
- AWS including Aurora/Postgres and RDS
- Java / Python / Typescript experience
- Understanding of service based architectures
- Geospatial data and GIS
- Log monitoring with Elasticsearch, Fluentd and Kibana