£400-450 outside IR35
Starting April 2021
Remote for foreseeable/Duration
Office Location (if needed) in either Glasgow or Edinburgh.
An experienced developer with solid commercial experience of building modern GIS tools is required to accelerate the replacement and retirement of our legacy mapping system by delivering modern GIS products.
Main Outcomes of requirement
- Further development of the new Mapping tools so that Map based maintenance capability is enhanced and supported and that all Digital Mapping System workstations and emulators are retired
- Development of automated recalculation of geometries representing rights or burdens when the features of the underlying Ordnance Survey map change
- Successful migration of all spatial data from the old Digital Mapping System to the Cadastral Map
- Successful migration of all title plan documents from the old on-premise Electronic Document Record Management System to AWS/S3.
- Successful migration of all mapping software from the on-premise Openshift platform to a platform hosted on AWS.
- Continued development and support of Mapping domain products in line with the product and architecture roadmaps with a view to improving digital sustainability and tackling areas of architectural and technical debt.
- Demonstrate excellent, sustainable, and collaborative software development practice that's focused on delivering highly readable, maintainable, and appropriate artefacts.
- Extend and sustain the high-quality support procedures, dashboards, monitoring and deployment capabilities to ensure the team can continue to improve services via feedback.
- Actively participating in all team events, leading where specialist knowledge in required, and supporting the team to improve their process through inspection and adaptation.
- Engage with the wider RoS communities of practice and interest to share knowledge, techniques and experience.
- Ensure high quality of developed solutions through development and maintenance of unit tests - with appropriate code coverage - and code analysis using code quality tools.
- Ensure that developed software complies with non-functional requirements, such as accessibility, security, UI/UX, performance, maintainability, deployability, etc..
- Troubleshoot development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms, from the AWS-based modern stack to the multiple strands of ETL and database (legacy and otherwise) that underpins the service.
- Routinely use collaborative development practices such as pairing and mobbing techniques in programming, code reviews, system design and requirements analysis/refinement, etc.
- Coaching and mentoring other team members, as appropriate
Some of these services may need to be provided outside of RoS' core business hours (07:30-17:30) in order to ensure continuity of service. The successful supplier is expected to plan and manage their working hours accordingly
- Java 11
- Spring boot Microservices
- Spring Security and OAuth2
- Python 3
Modern DevOps and CI/CD practices including deployment pipelines and Jenkins Significant and demonstrable commercial experience in the following areas:
- Delivering high quality software collaboratively in high-performing, cross-functional development teams.
- Designing, gaining consensus, and implementing technical solutions for software development projects
- Developing solutions using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive design practices
- Designing and implementing solutions using service and event-based architectures
- Using testing tools for unit testing, including system test automation frameworks
- Cloud monitoring, telemetry, intelligence tools and processes, including Grafana
- Incrementally replacing enterprise legacy systems
- Working in Agile delivery models
- Defining infrastructure as code
- Code quality, monitoring, telemetry and analytics tools
- AWS Lambda
- Amazon S3
- AWS SQS
- Cloudformation, CDK
- Aurora/Postgres, API Gateway
- Demonstrable experience in successful data migration initiatives
- Demonstrable experience in successful migration to cloud native development practices and techniques
- Demonstrable experience in transitional architectures