Digital Workplace Support Specialist
6 Months (likely extension)
£300 per day. Outside IR35
Remote for foreseeable. When the risk of COVID infection is reduced, we envision many of the team activities to take place at our Meadowbank House offices in Edinburgh, for at least part of each week. You should therefore be prepared to travel to Edinburgh for these activities
An experienced digital workplace support specialist with strong knowledge of Microsoft products, workstation technologies and collaboration tools, is required maintain and improve the service health of Registers of Scotland's Desktop Experience and Collaboration services.
The mission of the domain is to build an environment to enable, empower and support our staff in providing better value to the public - allowing them to focus on their goals, not the technology used to do it. The domain owns and supports the key productivity platforms including (but not limited to): Microsoft (Office) 365 including enterprise voice, Slack, Miro, Windows Desktop and Server, Citrix VDI, Exchange, SCCM, mobiles, internet access, File and folder access, and printing and scanning. These productivity platforms are split in to two service areas of Desktop Experience, and Collaboration. Employee Enablement are looking into ways in which they support the services they own with an aim of improving the support given to the staff of RoS that consume those services.
Maintain and improve the service health of Desktop Experience and Collaboration services, including:
- Supporting engineering effort in BAU demand resolution (incident/requests).
- Improve the ticket flow
- Increase the product knowledge of Service Desk staff
- Develop and support data and entry paths in ServiceNow
- Create troubleshooting paths
- Develop knowledge articles for the consumption of RoS staff and digital resolvers
- Develop and improve request forms and request processes
- Develop the ServiceDesk and M365 Champions networks
- Work collaboratively with Enablement Product Managers, service owners, the Employee Enablement team and the staff of RoS to help improve the health of the services we offer.
- Help identify any risks to the services
- Maintain any data needed to support the service
- Ensure all solutions meet required government standards for security, e.g. NCSC
- Ensure the Employee Enablement domain are fully self-sufficient in the management of all delivered solutions
- Monitor, manage and where necessary improve the performance of the platform to meet the expectations of the end-users
- Manage service health and integrity to an acceptable level
- Create and maintain appropriate service documentation
- Troubleshoot and resolve service-related issues
- Collaborate with team members to ensure a consistent quality and seamless service experience whether customers are using a traditional desktop/laptop or are using a VDI/thin client, and whether they are on LAN or remote via VDI or mobile device
- Help define and refine best practices, standards, and support principles.
- Actively participate in all team events, including Employee Enablement and Service Desk stand-ups.
Significant and demonstrable experience of:
o Workstation technologies
o File services
o Next generation firewall technologies, such as Palo Alto
o Collaboration tools, including Miro and Slack
o ITIL processes
Other Essential Skills
- Ability to document knowledge and troubleshooting processes.
- Being able to deliver 'Show and Tell' sessions.
- Experience of working with departments supporting the health of services and an understanding of health metrics.
- Experience of working in a similarly sized (~1300 users) environment with Enterprise/Government grade controls and expectations
- Ability to present knowledge and troubleshooting to all levels of teams.
- Experience of working within a mature agile team where trust, communication, collaboration, forward thinking, workload visualisation and constructive challenge are key attributes
- Knowledge and experience of VFQ/Agile techniques including Kanban
- Experience of the working with a Service Desk environment
- Experience of maintaining and reviewing knowledge.