Front End Developer
£450 per day. Outside IR35.
Remote for foreseeable. When the risk of COVID infection is eliminated or much reduced, we envision that many of the team and community activities will take place at our Edinburgh or Glasgow offices, for at least part of each week
An experienced lead front-end developer with solid commercial experience of building web applications using React.js and Next.js consuming REST APIs in an OpenShift environment is required to accelerate delivery of new and improved digital services to our customers.
The organisations ambition is to have enduring development teams aligned to the business domains ensuring that ownership of software products is clear. The Customer Facing domain is one of six product domains established to enable us to develop and support high quality and resilient digital products. The team is multifunctional with a strong collaborative and agile culture, who have a track record of rapidly delivering incremental customer-value. The Customer Facing domain is responsible for all external customer-facing touchpoints to Scotland's Land Register, including ScotLIS. The domain's mission is: "By managing all customer touchpoints, we enable the delivery of change, using a User-Centred Design approach".
Development and support of a replacement for existing Reports Portal, ultimately enabling the retirement of the legacy system
Further development and support of the Digital Submission Service to increase the efficiency of application intake
o Ensuring appropriate application bundling to prevent split submissions
o Modifications to the existing LBTT process
o Improved document handling to reduce rejection rates o Simplifying the rejection process
- Continued enhancement of the ScotLIS business and public platforms based on ongoing customer feedback.
- Continued development and support of Customer Facing products in line with the product and architecture roadmaps
- Demonstrate excellent, sustainable and collaborative software development practice that's focused on delivering highly readable, maintainable and appropriate artefacts.
- Actively participating in all team events, leading where specialist knowledge in required, and supporting the team to improve their process through inspection and adaptation.
- Engage with the wider communities of practice and interest to share knowledge, technique and experience.
- Ensure high quality of developed solutions through development and maintenance of unit tests - with appropriate code coverage - and code analysis using code quality tools.
- Ensure that developed software complies with non-functional requirements, such as accessibility, security, UI/UX, performance, maintainability, deployability, etc..
- Troubleshoot development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms, from the AWS-based modern stack to the multiple strands of ETL and database (legacy and otherwise) that underpins the service.
- Routinely use collaborative development practices such as pairing and mobbing techniques in programming, code reviews, system design and requirements analysis/refinement, etc.
- Coaching and mentoring other team members, as appropriate.
Some of these services may need to be provided outside of core business hours (07:30-17:30) in order to ensure continuity of service. The successful supplier is expected plan and manage their working hours accordingly
- Modern DevOps and CI/CD practices including deployment pipelines, Jenkins and Docker
Significant and demonstrable commercial experience in the following areas:
- Leading the front-end development within a team of full stack developers, taking responsibility for the front-end architecture.
- Contributing to a shared front-end component library, driving adoption and consistency across multiple development teams.
- Delivering high quality software collaboratively in high-performing, cross-functional development teams.
- Designing, gaining consensus, and implementing technical solutions for software development projects
- Developing within Digital First or GDS quality standards
- Developing solutions using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive design practices
- Using testing tools for unit testing, including system test automation frameworks
- Cloud monitoring, telemetry, intelligence tools and processes, including Grafana
- Incrementally replacing enterprise legacy systems
- Working in Agile delivery models
- Using UI pattern libraries to achieve consistent, tested and high-quality interfaces
- Code quality, monitoring, telemetry and analytics tools
- AWS Lambda, S3, Cloud Formation, Aurora/Postgres, API Gateway, CDK
- Python 2.7/3.x