£450 per day. Outside IR35.
Remote for foreseeable. When the risk of COVID infection is eliminated or much reduced, we envision that many of the team and community activities will take place at our Edinburgh offices, for at least part of each week
An experienced software engineer with solid commercial of building modern GIS tools, preferably within AWS, is required to collaboratively develop a new register of persons holding a controlled interest in land as part of an agile development team within Registers of Scotland's Other Registers domain.
Development and delivery of a new Register of Controlling Interests (RCI)
- Demonstrate excellent, sustainable, and collaborative software development practice that's focused on delivering highly readable, maintainable, and appropriate artefacts.
- Extend and sustain the high-quality support procedures, dashboards, monitoring and deployment capabilities to ensure the team can continue to improve services via feedback.
- Actively participating in all team events, leading where specialist knowledge in required, and supporting the team to improve their process through inspection and adaptation.
- Engage with the wider RoS communities of practice and interest to share knowledge, techniques and experience.
- Ensure high quality of developed solutions through development and maintenance of unit tests - with appropriate code coverage - and code analysis using code quality tools.
- Ensure that developed software complies with non-functional requirements, such as accessibility, security, UI/UX, performance, maintainability, deployability, etc
- Troubleshoot development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms that underpins the service.
- Routinely use collaborative development practices such as pairing and mobbing techniques in programming, code reviews, system design and requirements analysis/refinement, etc.
- Coaching and mentoring other team members, as appropriate.
- Postgres and PostGIS
- GeoServer, JTS, GeoTools
- Strong HTML / CSS skills and an awareness of accessibility considerations
Significant and demonstrable commercial experience in the following areas:
- Delivering high quality software collaboratively in high-performing, cross-functional development teams.
- Designing, gaining consensus, and implementing technical solutions for software development projects
- Developing within Digital First or GDS quality standards
- Developing solutions using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive design practices
- Designing and implementing solutions using service and event-based architectures
- Using testing tools for unit testing, including system test automation frameworks
- Cloud monitoring, telemetry, intelligence tools and processes, including Grafana
- Working in Agile delivery models
- Defining infrastructure as code
- Using UI pattern libraries to achieve consistent, tested and high-quality interfaces
- Code quality, monitoring, telemetry and analytics tools