Head of IT Development
£750 per day
Homeworking for foreseeable. When the risk of COVID infection is eliminated or much reduced, we envision that many of the team and community activities will take place at our Edinburgh or Glasgow offices, for at least part of each week
An exceptional senior-level servant-leader with a strong combined agile and technical background is required to lead, shape and develop Registers of Scotland's software development department to deliver constant value to customers and stakeholders, and to meet the key objectives of the organisation.
We have made significant strides aligning its IT Development and IT Enablement capabilities with a common technical strategy in pursuit of our corporate objectives. The Enablement teams provide platforms that Development teams use to develop products that support Operational colleagues in their registration work. The organisation's ambition is to have enduring teams aligned to Enablement platforms and Product Development domains ensuring ownership and the ability to safely maintain and improve the estate. The Cross Digital team support these 5 Enablement and 10 Product Development teams ensuring alignment and delivery against the technical and business strategy. RoS design, develop, and operate 20 public registers. In addition to the well-known property registers (Land Register and Sasines), there are also registers of people, legislation, and documents.
Lead, shape and develop multiple product domain-aligned software development teams to deliver solutions to:
- Allow customers to create applications that represent their registration intention. Based on the structured data collected, automate the automatable parts of Dealings (DW) applications to significantly reduce the operational effort in the Intake and Settle processes.
- Simplify the Transfer of Part (TP) and First Registration (FR) operational processes through embedded burdens in child titles, extracting text from historical Sasine deeds, and further process improvements.
- Complete the development and rollout of RoS' new mapping tools and spatial database such that the historic Digital Mapping System (DMS) is retired.
- Migrate historic operational archives to the new RoS Cloud Archive. Retire the historic on-premises archival systems.
- Decouple the services Finance provides to operational products from the legacy finance system.
- Replace and retire the Chancery and Judicial Registration (CAJR) Application with a serverless cloud-based design.
- Complete discovery and design and commence the implementation of the Register of Controlling Interests (RoCI).
- Complete RoS' migration to cloud-first design, development, and hosting through the introduction of a secure, governance-friendly platform supporting serverless, containers, and a robust CI/CD system.
- Ensure new developments reduce the technical complexity of domain estate targeting reduction in RoS' Product Sustainability Index of: o 200 points by October 2021
- Leadership of a product domain aligned software development department of at least 10 teams and £20 million budget in an agile environment.
- Leading role in sustainable agile transformations over extended (multi-year) periods in more than one organisation.
- Servant-leading multiple high-performing, continuously delivering, cross-functional development teams in multiple environments including public sector
- Recruiting and building high-performing agile DevOps and software development teams
- Applying different agile and lean approaches and supporting context
- Agile product and software development using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive-design practices, and the enablers required, ideally within Digital First framework
- Software development, architecture and infrastructure in a forward-thinking agile organisation using:
- Java o Event-based, microservice architectures
- Implementing technology strategies and managing delivery of associated technical services, solutions, architectures and technologies
- Incrementally replacing enterprise legacy systems
- Developing and leading staff development and training programmes
- Coaching and mentoring
- Public sector procurement
- Managing budgets of ~£20 million
- Knowledge of the Scottish Land Registration process
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Securing software applications
- Securing an IT estates