As Lead Interaction Designer you'll be leading the design elements for a user interface for a digital product that will be used to serve standard and user-customised data tables for the 2021 Census. This high profile and pioneering data dissemination product will also need to be integrated into our website. The initial service requirement is to design the user experience for a 3-month alpha prototype (detailed below) followed by 3 months of product iteration based on user testing. It is also likely that further work packages will be required to continue development of this product as well as designing a suite of other products to support dissemination of Census data and content.
You'll work as part of a multidisciplinary, agile team that is passionate about using the Digital by Default Service Standard approaches to meet user needs. You will be responsible for ensuring usability, accessibility and design coherence of our Census digital products.
- Develop service design assets (service blueprints, task models etc) to describe the scope of the service from a user perspective, then ensure that interaction designs culminate in a coherent end to end service.
- Translate user research into design concepts, prototypes and production assets for a new user customisable data presentation product
- Work with development teams to ensure designs are implemented correctly
- Work with other designers to ensure that designs and patterns are coherent and reusable across digital publishing and the wider organisation.
- Work with user researchers to and digital analytics to iterate designs based on user feedback
Relevant skills and Experience:
Agile working - working within an agile team with a product manager, user researcher, software engineers and managed by a delivery manager, focused on creating effective MVPs within each sprint.
Prototyping - working with a variety of tools to visualise designs, creating mixed fidelity wireframes for user research and testing, able to maintain a strategic view of the design across the service.
Prototyping in code - ability to design directly in HTML/CSS/JS, ensuring finalised designs are accessible and dynamic at all times, sharing designs with the community and pattern library.
User focus - thinking about the user in all decisions, sharing knowledge and understanding with the team, providing expertise on best practice and approaches to successfully deliver a service.
Guidance and evidence - identify risk and make decisions based on evidence and testing, identifying the simplest solutions out of any options.
Communication - able to present work to both the team and stakeholders, understanding expectations while being flexible about feedback.
Experience designing user experience for data presentation products
CMS configuration (familiarity with Craft CMS a bonus)
Experience using design software (Sketch, Adobe CS etc.)
Experience implementing accessibility standards
Experience developing service design assets (service blueprints, task models etc)