Methods, Data and Research Analyst
Newport - Currently home working
Contract until 31st March 2021 initially (likely extension)
Either Valid active SC clearance (used within the last 12 months) or SC clearance
This is a 3-month temporary contract role, with an immediate starting date for a suitably skilled data research analyst. The successful candidate joins similarly skilled staff working throughout the Economic Statistics Group. Methods Data and Research Analysts deliver improvements to economic statistics by conducting research, delivering improvements and providing leadership to development and transformation projects. These improvements span upgrading existing compilation methods and processes, making better use of existing data sources, and developing entirely new methods, processes and/or data sources.
This post contributes to the Economic Statistics Group ambitious development programme to enhance the UK's economic statistics in line with increasing user demand and scrutiny as the Brexit transition ended recently. Further to the successful development and continued improvement to new systems, methods and sources, the number of available statistics has grown rapidly and is set to grow further, with interest in understanding the UK economy at a subnational level.
Methods, data and research analysts can have a range of responsibilities but will always require analytical expertise and in many cases also subject expertise (that is, detailed knowledge about particular areas of economic statistics). This particular role focuses on subnational statistics on trade and involves responsibility for leading and managing research and development workstreams and delivering technical or analytical work.
The role requires engagement with internal and external stakeholders to understand the requirements, collate the evidence, and deliver on the research or method under investigation. The role may require contribution to the drafting of technical papers and/or articles for stakeholders and/or customers.
* Convert STATA code into one of R, R Shiny, Python, PySpark or Spark;
* Initial exploration of administrative data testing for suitability to measure business statistical concepts;
* Assisting in the development of metadata and user documentation for administrative tax data.
* Manipulating and analysing data and/or information to produce clear and high quality qualitative and quantitative evidence which can be used to inform decision-making both within ONS and by external stakeholders.
* Collaborating with a range of stakeholders (internal and external) to research, develop and (where appropriate) implement improvements, providing technical and analytical expertise.
* Participating in and promoting a culture of continuous improvement.
The role requires experience of manipulating administrative data, some familiarity of economic statistics, and ability to code in STATA and at least one of the other described languages.
* Good inter-personal and communication skills;
* Self-starter e.g. problem solving and taking initiative to sort out issues;
* A quick learner, able to assimilate the complexities of unfamiliar data sources and business data requirements.
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable experience of applying analytical tools and methods to provide high quality quantitative and qualitative analysis. Ability to identify information gaps and weaknesses and anomalies in own analysis/research and that of others.
- Demonstrate an ability to act independently in the application of specialist knowledge to arrive at evidenced conclusions, options and recommendations.
- An ability to apply basic approaches to plan, monitor and deliver their own work to a high quality in a timely manner; identifying risks and issues where appropriate.
- Experience with STATA and ability to convert STATA code to Python, R, R Shiny, or Spark.
- Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) level clearance valid for at least 6 months on commencement of the contract. PLEASE NOTE APPLICATIONS NOT MEETING THIS CRITERIA AT THE APPLICATION STAGE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED;
- Experience of UK Government, particularly HMRC Administrative Data;
- SC-level clearance valid for at least 6 months on commencement of the contract.
- Experience using Hadoop-based tools such as Hive, and experience of data manipulation and querying using Python and SQL.