12 Months (Possible Extension)
£550 per day. Inside IR35
Remote - UK based
A product manager defines, owns and solve problems. They manage a product through discovery, alpha, beta and live states. They support the senior product managers and may line manage associate product managers and support their professional development. They have a deep knowledge of product management techniques and are developing expert skills. They may be involved in recruitment. This role may be suitable for those who may not have directly worked in product but who have held other digital roles or civil servants with sufficient experience across other competencies
- Responsible for one or more products within their area to ensure they deliver value, realise the intended benefits and meet the roadmap objectives
- Work with Associate and Senior Product managers with crossfunctional teams to deliver outcomes
- Build relationships with customers and stakeholders
- Participate in the product community of practice at RoS
- Represent RoS at Scottish, UK and international events, if required, specific to their areas of work
- May have future line management responsibility
Skills and Experience
- Focused on outcomes and maximising value delivered, you understand what customers need using an evidence based approach to define products and manage competing priorities.
- Knowledge of Agile and Lean practices
- Strong stakeholder management skills, ideally working in a multistakeholder environment
- Sound analysis skills
- Demonstrable success by prioritising work in a complex problem space
- Make evidence based decisions and is data-focused.
- Take a global view of their domain, understands the wider context of the work and how this impacts the overall user experience of the services their products support
- Has experience translating customer needs into product requirements
- Ability to recognise and communicate risks and issues early
- Accountable for ensuring business as usual for the products in their domain.
- Actively seek out feedback, especially when things have not gone as expected.
- Triage live issues balancing the need for fixing against in-flight commitments
- Manage scope of product iterations, knowing what good looks like with a sharp eye for viability
- Communicate their product vision as a narrative with the customer at its heart.
- Collaborate widely to agree priorities, values and outcomes of the problems in their space
- Facilitate communication between technical and non-technical colleagues
- Bring people together to define problems; as a skilled negotiator breaks siloed thinking to build shared outcomes.
- Challenge accepted thinking constructively and is comfortable having difficult conversations.
- Think beyond their domain to consider the broader impact of their work and manages dependencies effectively.
- Identify and manage key relationships, especially with business sponsors, customer representatives, technology leadership and endusers
- Manage risk and value in a balanced way.
- Place the customer at the heart of decision making, act as the voice of the customer when discussing the product.
- Take ownership and accountability for the contents of the product backlog
- Build the product roadmap in collaboration with the Senior Product Manager
- Prioritise spending based on ROI and strategic intent
- Work with technical teams to manage Technical Debt, balancing the need for enhancements against the cost of maintaining existing products.