Jan 2022 - March 2022 (likely extension)
£25-27 per hour. Inside IR35
Remote. UK Based
With a Programme Manager on board until the end of March 2022 we will be able to get the 'building expert level data science capability' project off the ground and start to create significant impact. I would expect the HEO to make the following contributions by March 2022:
- Organise and promote at least 2 events between ONS and other organisations with the aim of building expert level data science capability - these will be organised based on needs/requirements in the campus or across ONS
- Obtain feedback and evaluate the events to obtain impact assessment information (this will determine whether the pilot was successful before rolling out across the public sector)
- Work with the Programme Manager to create a list/spreadsheet of stakeholders for the Capability team and maintain that list
- Collate information from the call for expressions of interest to organisations (the call for expressions of interest will be for collaborating on expert level capability building)
- Support the Programme Manager to organise the MDataGov Symposium/PhD seminars as part of the Data Science Festival
In order to contribute to our goal of helping to build data science capability for the benefit of the UK, the data science capability team works in partnership with a number of universities and other organisations. We are looking to expand our network of partnerships across the UK in order to deliver a number of initiatives aimed at increasing expert level data science capability. In the first instance we will be piloting initiatives across ONS. We will then be expanding our programme across the public sector to facilitate the establishment of relationships between public sector organisations and non-public sector organisations to increase expert level data science capability. The programme officer will be responsible for organising, facilitating and evaluating the data science expert capability building initiatives. We will also be using our University network to make links between universities and public sector organisations with the aim of providing PhD placements and MSc projects.
Another aspect of the team's work involves reviewing and improving the Master's in Data Analytics for Government (MDataGov) which is currently delivered in collaboration with 4 partner Universities as well as the possible development of a Level 7 apprenticeship. The programme officer will be expected to provide support for this work, when necessary, by organising seminars, meetings and events relating to this aspect of data science capability building.
- Help to assess requirements for expert knowledge capability building initiatives e.g. which topics and which collaborations to prioritise
- Assist in building and maintaining good relationships with various organisations (public sector and non-public sector) in order to successfully deliver our capability initiatives
- Assist with the planning and delivery of data science capability building events
- Create and maintain a log of all collaborations and events
- Manage the evaluation of collaborations and events and implement improvements where necessary
- Promote initiatives/events as widely as possible using various communication channels
- Provide information and respond to queries relating to our capability initiatives in a timely manner
- Help to facilitate the development of collaborations between public sector organisations and non-public sector organisations for the purpose of building data science capability across the public sector
- Highly organised with acute attention to detail.
- Proven experience in using a range of communication skills and channels to engage with technical and non-technical colleagues at different levels of seniority.
- Experience of managing relationships with various stakeholders
- Familiarity with data science and/or data analytics
- Ability to solve issues that arise in relation to event management