QA Developer (Supporting Finance)
£400 pe day. Outside IR35
Remote for foreseeable/Duration
When the risk of COVID infection is eliminated or much reduced, we envision many of the team activities to take place at our offices in Edinburgh, for at least part of each week.
An experienced developer in test is required to safely accelerate Registers of Scotland's move away from our legacy finance systems. The main focus of the work will be the collaborative development of new serverless micro-services using AWS Lambda functions and Typescript/Javascipt. However, the Supporting domain also supports a number of legacy systems, hence a working knowledge of shell scripting languages, such as Bash, and Oracle databases, would be a plus.
We have made significant strides re-organising its IT software delivery capability to align to the key domains within the business. The organisations ambition is to have enduring development teams aligned to the business domains ensuring that ownership of software products is clear. Our design, develop, and operate 20 public registers. In addition to the well-known property registers (Land Register and Sasines), there are also registers of people, legislation, and documents. The Supporting domain is one of six product domains established to enable RoS to develop and support high quality and resilient digital products. The team is multifunctional with a strong collaborative and agile culture, and employing a test-driven and infrastructure-as-code ethos. The Supporting domain owns and develops some of our core supporting products, such as document management and archiving, and our finance and HR systems
- A new Invoicing Service to support multiple registers
- A new Pre-Payment Service
- Continued development and support of Supporting domain products in line with the product and architecture roadmaps.
- Evaluate quality of the product(s) under test and providing feedback to the team.
- Lead on the development of bespoke test automation solutions.
- Perform manual testing where appropriate, including exploratory.
- Ensure that developed software complies with non-functional requirements, such as accessibility, security, UI/UX, performance, maintainability, deployability, etc
- Demonstrate excellent, sustainable and collaborative software development practice that's focused on delivering highly readable, maintainable and appropriate artefacts.
- Actively participate in team events, leading where specialist knowledge is required and supporting the team to improve their process through inspection and adaptation
- Routinely use collaborative development practices such as pairing and mobbing techniques in programming, code reviews, system design and requirements analysis/refinement, etc.
- Engage with the wider RoS communities of practice and interest to share knowledge, technique and experience.
- Coach and mentor less experienced members of the team.
- Investigate production issues, monitoring and metrics
- Create and maintain appropriate documentation for deliverables
Some of these services may need to be provided outside of RoS' core business hours (07:30-17:30) in order to ensure continuity of service. The successful supplier is expected to plan and manage their working hours accordingly.
Significant commercial experience with the following technology:
o Serverless (Lambda)
o API Gateway
o Cloud Formation
- HTML and CSS
- REST APIs
- Spring Boot microservices
- Event-based, microservice architectures
Significant and demonstrable experience in the following areas:
- Developing, testing and continuously delivering high quality working software collaboratively in high performing, cross-functional development teams
- Building and maintaining test automation frameworks
- Building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines
- Software release management
- Usability and accessibility testing, including use of tools such as NVDA screen reader, AXE and Wave
- Performance and exploratory testing
- Designing, gaining consensus, and implementing technical solutions for software development projects
- Working with the business, to understand the context, and to focus on delivering quality and value.
- Ensuring robustness of code via error-handling, alerting mechanisms, healthchecks, computer consumable logging, regardless of tools/language/environment.
- Testing tools including unit and system test automation frameworks
- Cloud monitoring, telemetry, intelligence tools and processes, including Grafana and Kibana
- Developing within Digital First or GDS quality standards
- Developing solutions using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive design practices
- Incrementally replacing enterprise legacy systems
- Working with Agile delivery practices
- Pair programming and test-driven development
- Designing and testing with relational and NoSQL databases, particularly Mongo, Postgres, Oracle and Informix
- Code quality, monitoring, telemetry and analytics tools
- Commercial experience of the following:
- Scripting languages, especially Bash
- SQL and PL/SQL
- Knowledge of the Scottish Land Registration process