- Only those with active SC or SC which has lapsed in the last 12 months' can apply
- Fully remote, Newport or Titchfield Office
- Duration: Until 31st March 2022 initially
- Deadline: 12 noon 1st November 2021
MDR aims to provide the statistical foundations the organisation needs to create statistics
for the public good.
It was created to combine the key components that ONS needs for transformation into one
integrated service. This includes providing new data and methods services for ONS
transformation programmes and harnessing pockets of expertise across ONS, using it to
maximise output through collaboration and utilising existing governance.
MDR provides many services across four divisions including Data Acquisition and
Operations, Data Architecture, Methodology, and Best Practice and Input.
Business analysts understand and analyse user and business needs. Business analysts:
* make sure outcomes are aligned with service vision and business strategy by contributing to the
link between current and future business models and delivering to the business architecture
* work with solution architects and developers to provide analysis of system capabilities,
developing use cases and ensuring that solutions meet business needs
* challenge constructively and act as a critical friend to achieve solutions that are fit for purpose
* facilitate collaboration and lead effective communication with all stakeholders to support design,
build and delivery to meet the user needs
TYPICAL ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and manage investigations into business processes, information systems, functions, information flows, data structures and software development processes, using various technical, methodical and consistent techniques.
- Review existing system capabilities, develop use cases and information models and align business requirements to specific capabilities of system development, including working with developers to ensure that user needs are met.
- Define improvements to business processes, developing business cases to enable decisions to be made based on the benefits of the change
- Lead, understand and communicate the project scope and work to assure the overall goal is maintained in creation of the product backlog
- Lead in providing solutions to real business problems through influence, facilitation and communication and ensuring the end to end process is considered.
- Shape and challenge business priorities and ways of working through collaboration with business and technology teams.
- Elicit functional and non-functional requirements using appropriate techniques, taking into account the nature of change and established practices.
- Deliver at pace using agile methodologies and principles.
- Develop suitable analysis models using appropriate modelling techniques, considering traceability, adherence to business objectives and fitness for purpose.
- Work with business and solution architects to ensure that the wider architecture considered when undertaking analysis work.
- Assist decision makers in gathering information to make informed decisions.
- Promote a culture of assurance and security.
- Help to quality assure test solutions and products.
- Actively participate in the Business Analysis community and broader communities to refine and develop standards, working practices and sharing of knowledge and understanding.
- Line management of Business Analysts within the ONS community.
Key Responsibilities by grade:
- A principal business analyst has a good understanding of the enterprise arena and works on multiple, highly complex pieces of work. They are a leader in the BA community (across government and externally) and have functional management, or people management accountabilities, or a combination of both. They proactively share knowledge and are seen as a go-to person in their field whilst also mentoring others and owning key stakeholder relationships. A principal business analyst may lean towards a more specialist or a more management focused career path.
Please see essential and desirable criteria on Core Role Profile for Grade 7