- £18 - £23 per hour + INSIDE IR35
- Job Type
- James Norval
- 18 days ago
Fully Remote Working
Rate £20 - £23 per hour, 37 hours a week, Inside IR35
DEADLINE Wednesday 16th September 2020 at Noon
Are you a Data Engineer with experience of SAS coding looking for a unique career opportunity? Are you motivated by working with survey data to produce some of the UK's most important economic statistics? If so, this role could be for you.
The post will provide pivotal SAS programming support and management to a team developing and delivering a programme aiming to modernise the way in which UK trade statistics are produced in the wake of the UK's exit from the European Union.
The post holder will work to gain a thorough understanding current systems, work with a range of internal stakeholders to gain a detailed knowledge of proposed methodological improvements, and work either independently or with a small team to introduce these improvements into the SAS based data production systems.
The work with involve data interrogation, the coding of functions that conduct statistical or data manipulation tasks, as well as the coding of data processing pipelines. The team are developing better economic statistics using new tools and techniques, primarily through the development of existing SAS based data processing systems, making use of the SAS coding language to process and analyse large datasets.
The role may also support secondary smaller projects with local systems built upon Python libraries. With this, we can apply data science and data engineering techniques to produce timelier, more granular and more insightful statistics.
Individuals will be able to have the time and space to develop their skills and conduct research, with the aim of getting improved key economic statistics out to stakeholders and the wider public.
TYPICAL ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- A key aspect of the role will be an ability to quickly digest, troubleshoot and understand current systems, processes, and data, in order to implement suggested improvements.
- The post will provide a core coding and management resource for delivering the underlying processes and code to validate and build key survey data series.
- Produce design documents and diagrams for data processing systems, considering the statistical or data processing methods that are needed for the task, as well as the design of the overall data model.
- Oversee and contribute to the coding of statistical or data processing functions, ensuring that any functions are well tested.
- Write code that will systemize the processing of data, based on initial design documents. This includes writing unit / integration tests and managing versions of code.
- Report on the progress of prototype systems to customers, clearly articulating the impact of various data processing steps on the outputs.
- Maintain and review documentation for statistical and data processing functions, as well as data processing pipelines.
- Manage working relationships with stakeholders across Economic Statistics, keeping people up to date on progress and highlighting any risks with projects.
- Apply agile project management principles to managing projects and tasks on a day-to-day basis.
- The role may include management of a small team of technical data engineers.
* Ability to work within a busy team
* Line Management skills
* Ability to communicate at all levels to both technical and non-technical audiences
* Ability to successfully manage, to support yourself and your team to deliver agreed goals and objectives
* Experienced in handling and manipulating large data sets.
* Experienced in using a variety of coding tools and techniques in the context of an environment for managing large datasets.
* You should have expertise in SAS coding.
* Experience working in a statistical environment.
* Experience with Python (especially in the context of data engineering and/or analysis).