Senior Data Administrator (Data Support)
- SC Cleared whie in post
- fully remote working anywhere in the UK
- Rate: £24 to £27 per hour, 37 hours a week, Inside IR35
- 6 months initially
- Deadline: noon 9th June 2021
MDR aims to provide the statistical foundations the organisation needs to create statistics for the public good. It was created to combine the key components needs for transformation into one integrated service. This includes providing new data and methods services transformation programmes and harnessing pockets of expertise, using it to maximise output through collaboration and utilising existing governance. MDR provides many services across four divisions including Data Acquisition and Operations, Data Architecture, Methodology, and Best Practice and Input.
TYPICAL ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
The post will provide pivotal programming support to a team developing and delivering the programming and design of routines to import, validate and structure key administrative data that will flow in the wake of the Digital Economy Act (DEA). The role is based in an expanding and busy team that are increasingly developing the provision of data in support of key business areas spanning functions ranging from Social Surveys to the National and Regional Economic Accounts.
- A key aspect of the role will be an ability to quickly digest, troubleshoot and understand a range of large administrative and wider non-survey data series.
- As such, the post will also provide a core coding and management resource for meeting the rising demand in delivering the underlying processes and code to validate and build key administrative data series.
- This will involve specifying history, validating the data and building coherent and accessible data structures on a series-by-series basis for distribution to users across the ONS and Beyond.
- The role also provides an opportunity to meet these responsibilities using newly acquired software tools, processing, analysing and validating data in a Cloudera Environment using tools such and languages such as SQL, Impala, Hive, PySpark etc.
- The role also includes management of a small team of technical data engineers.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Ability to work within a busy team
- Staff Management skills
- Ability to communication at all levels to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to successfully manage, support self and team to deliver agreed goals and objectives
- experienced in handling and manipulating very large data sets
- experienced in using a variety of tools and techniques (such as those common to a Hadoop.
- The applicant should have or develop expertise in Python in the context of PySpark - with as a minimum expertise in one (or preferably more) of the following: o Python;
- SQL; or SCALA.