Senior DevOps Engineer
- Migrating Jenkins Server to Google Cloud Platform
- Inside IR35, 6-month contract position (We can pay into Limited Company if preferred)
- Fully remote working anywhere in the UK
- Central Government
- Deadline: Monday 26th July
TYPICAL ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
We are looking for an experienced Senior DevOps Engineer to migrate the hosting of our Jenkins automation server(s) to Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Working with the leads of a cross functional team the successful candidate will provide guidance on improving our existing automation process(es) and will work closely with our software engineering team to provide a stable, reliable and performant solution.
Our current service requires maintenance of our dockerized environments to ensure sufficient capacity for traffic spikes and monitoring system health and performance across the entire technology stack in a private cloud environment.
In this role you will lead the DevOps discipline on a number of initiatives across related project teams, working closely with a wide range of stakeholders, technical specialists and your software team to:
● Set the technical direction in which the multi-disciplinary team operates regarding best practice development operations.
● Be a key player in the management, deployment and maintenance of software solutions / components that enable statistical publishers from across government in transforming their statistics into 5* linked open data.
● Be proficient in a wide range of technical systems and be involved in identifying appropriate technology and approaches.
● Contribute to the community by providing technical leadership, coaching and mentoring of the team, promoting knowledge sharing and adoption of good practice. Communicate with stakeholders on behalf of technical teams and help set the direction of travel.
● Identify security risks and technical debt which affect the products we build.
You will get to work with a broad spectrum of technologies, such as, but not limited to:
GitHub, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Cloud Computing / Processing, Docker.
A senior DevOps engineer delivers and integrates software to form a complete DevOps toolchain. You will be responsible for planning and designing large groups of stories. At this level, you will:
● Transform technical requirements into an effective DevOps toolchain to enable product delivery.
● Provide coaching and mentoring to more junior colleagues.
● Make sure deployment strategies for products are repeatable, scalable and highly available.
● Have deep technical knowledge, providing support to delivery teams and solving complex problems.