Software Developer (Customer Facing)
£450 per day. Outside IR35
Homeworking for foreseeable future.
When the risk of COVID infection is eliminated or much reduced, we envision that many of the team and community activities will take place at our Edinburgh or Glasgow offices, for at least part of each week
An experienced developer with solid commercial experience of building web applications and REST APIs using Spring Boot in an OpenShift environment is required to accelerate Registers of Scotland's delivery of new and improved digital services to our customers.
- Development and support of a replacement for RoS' existing Reports Portal, ultimately enabling the retirement of the legacy system.
· Migration of ScotLIS and the Digital Submission Service from the on-prem Openshift platform to a platform hosted on AWS.
· Development of a new payment management system for land searches to simplify the customer journey and provide streamlining of internal payment processes
- Continued development and support of Customer Facing products in line with the product and architecture roadmaps, including ScotLIS and the Digital Submission Service
· Demonstrate excellent, sustainable and collaborative software development practice that's focused on delivering highly readable, maintainable and appropriate artefacts.
· Actively participating in all team events, leading where specialist knowledge in required, and supporting the team to improve their process through inspection and adaptation.
· Engage with the wider RoS communities of practice and interest to share knowledge, technique and experience
· Ensure high quality of developed solutions through development and maintenance of unit tests - with appropriate code coverage - and code analysis using code quality tools.
· Ensure that developed software complies with non-functional requirements, such as accessibility, security, UI/UX, performance, maintainability, deployability, etc..
· Troubleshoot development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms.
· Routinely use collaborative development practices such as pairing and mobbing techniques in programming, code reviews, system design and requirements analysis/refinement, etc.
· Coaching and mentoring other team members, as appropriate
Some of these services may need to be provided outside of RoS' core business hours (07:30-17:30) in order to ensure continuity of service. The successful supplier is expected plan and manage their working hours accordingly
Significant commercial experience with the following technology:
- Java 11
- Spring Boot microservices
- Spring security and OAuth2
- Modern DevOps and CI/CD practices including deployment pipelines, Jenkins and Docker
- Cloud monitoring, telemetry, intelligence tools and processes, including Grafana
Significant and demonstrable commercial experience in the following areas:
- Delivering high quality software collaboratively in high-performing, cross-functional development teams.
- Designing, gaining consensus, and implementing technical solutions for software development projects
- Developing within Digital First or GDS quality standards
- Developing solutions using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive design practices
- Designing and implementing solutions using service and event-based architectures
- Using testing tools for unit testing, including system test automation frameworks
- Incrementally replacing enterprise legacy systems
- Working in Agile delivery models
- Defining infrastructure as code
- Using UI pattern libraries to achieve consistent, tested and high-quality interfaces
- Code quality, monitoring, telemetry and analytics tools
- Designing and developing with relational and NoSQL databases, particularly Mongo and Postgres
- AWS Lambda, S3, Cloud Formation, Aurora/Postgres, API Gateway, CDK
- Knowledge of the Scottish Land Registration process