Software Developer (Supporting Finance)
£450 per day. Outside IR35
Remote for foreseeable.
When the risk of COVID infection is eliminated or much reduced, we envision many of the team activities to take place at our offices in Edinburgh, for at least part of each week.
An experienced developer is required to accelerate Registers of Scotland's move away from our legacy finance systems. The main focus of the work will be the collaborative development of new serverless micro-services using AWS Lambda functions and Typescript/Javascipt. However, the Supporting domain also supports a number of legacy systems, hence a working knowledge of shell scripting languages, such as Bash, and Oracle databases, would be a plus.
We have made significant strides re-organising its IT software delivery capability to align to the key domains within the business. The organisations ambition is to have enduring development teams aligned to the business domains ensuring that ownership of software products is clear. We design, develop, and operate 20 public registers. In addition to the well-known property registers (Land Register and Sasines), there are also registers of people, legislation, and documents. The Supporting domain is one of six product domains established to enable us to develop and support high quality and resilient digital products. The team is multifunctional with a strong collaborative and agile culture, and employing a test-driven and infrastructure-as-code ethos. The Supporting domain owns and develops some of our core supporting products, such as document management and archiving, and our finance and HR systems.
Development and delivery of:
- A new Invoicing Service to support multiple registers.
- A new Pre-Payment Service
- Continued development and support of Supporting domain products in line with the product and architecture roadmaps
- Demonstrate excellent, sustainable, and collaborative software development practice that's focused on delivering highly readable, maintainable and appropriate artefacts.
- Actively participating in all team events, leading where specialist knowledge in required, and supporting the team to improve their process through inspection and adaptation.
- Engage with the wider RoS communities of practice and interest to share knowledge, technique and experience.
- Ensure high quality of developed solutions through development and maintenance of unit tests - with appropriate code coverage - and code analysis using code quality tools.
- Ensure that developed software complies with non-functional requirements, such as accessibility, security, UI/UX, performance, maintainability, deployability, etc..
- Troubleshoot development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms, from the AWS-based modern stack to the multiple strands of ETL and database (legacy and otherwise) that underpins the service.
- Routinely use collaborative development practices such as pairing and mobbing techniques in programming, code reviews, system design and requirements analysis/refinement, etc.
- Coaching and mentoring other team members, as appropriate.
Some of these services may need to be provided outside of RoS' core business hours (07:30-17:30) in order to ensure continuity of service. The successful supplier is expected plan and manage their working hours accordingly.
Commercial experience with the following technology:
- AWS including Lambda and CDK
- REST APIs
- Oracle databases and Oracle pro-C
Significant and demonstrable commercial experience in the following areas:
- Delivering high quality software collaboratively in high-performing, cross-functional development teams.
- Designing, gaining consensus, and implementing technical solutions for software development projects
- Developing within Digital First or GDS quality standards
- Developing solutions using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive design practices
- Designing and implementing solutions using service and event-based architectures
- Using testing tools for unit testing, including system test automation frameworks
- Cloud monitoring, telemetry, intelligence tools and processes, including Grafana
- Incrementally replacing enterprise legacy systems
- Working with Agile practices
- XP engineering techniques
- Defining infrastructure as code
- Commercial experience of the following:
- ACS eFinancials