Role Title: Software Engineer x2
Role location: Remote
Duration of engagement: 3 months, Outside IR35, daily rates apply
Deadline: Monday 21st December at noon
Skills required: SAS or AF statistical workflow pipeline development, system mapping, UNIX/LINUX
Description of Requirement:
We require the services of experienced SAS Software Engineers for discovery of current SAS/AF built systems within Economic Statistics Group.
Economic Statistics Group (ESG) sits at the heart of the UK's economic system, providing the information which informs decisions by government, business and individuals, both nationally and locally. We produce a wide range of research, data and analysis to support understanding of the UK economy. The Surveys and Economic Indicators team requires strong technical consultancy services to deliver to very tight and challenging timescales.
We are looking for someone who is fluent at understanding SAS/AF and will be able to translate the code into a meaningful text, supported with adequate systems process diagrams and flows, that will explain how the system operates, linking all inputs and outputs. The descriptions need to explain in detail:
- What each line of the code is doing
- Which files and variables are being selected for each part of the code
- How these files are being processed
- What intermediate outputs are being created, how are these created and where do they feed in the process
- How are the outputs derived and what is their core dependency to the inputs
- What assumptions/constrains/parameters are being set in the production system and where are these sourced from
This work will make a valuable contribution to informing our internal statistical production process.
The Post Holder needs to possess the relevant skills and experience detailed below.
TYPICAL ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
The main outcomes from the service/post holder are:
- Work at pace to discover and deliver documentation on current SAS/AF statistical workflow pipelines.
- Expert in system mapping - Essential
- Expert in use of SAS/AF - Essential
- Strong communication skills - Essential
- Experience of using SAS on Unix/Linux - Desirable
- A working knowledge of statistical concepts - Desirable