£450-500 per day Outside IR35
Homeworking for foreseeable future. When the risk of COVID infection is eliminated or much reduced, we envision that many of the team and community activities will take place at our Edinburgh or Glasgow offices, for at least part of each week.
An experienced software engineer is required to provide hands-on technical leadership to an agile development team within Registers of Scotland's Land Registration domain, and to act as a conduit between the development team and the Architecture Steering Group, helping to define and refine best practices, standards and architectural principles.
Lead the development and support of the technical solutions that:
- Increase automation of the Intake of Sasine Advance Notices (ANs).
- Increase automation of the Intake of Sasine Application Forms (SAFs).
- Investigate, document, and propose an incremental roadmap for the replacement of a legacy monolithic application/database (CSR)
Lead the continued development and support of Land Registration products in line with the product and architecture roadmaps
- Collaborating with colleagues from Product Management and Service Design to prioritise the backlog by providing insight into the architectural roadmap and the technical benefits that changes will achieve
- Extend and sustain the high-quality support procedures, dashboards, monitoring and deployment capabilities to ensure the team can continue to improve services via feedback.
- Technically lead the development team in both their tactical and strategic work to ensure the team delivers a cohesive solution that is well-architected and designed in line with RoS engineering principles and best practices.
- Actively participating in the RoS Architecture Steering Group and wider community, ensuring that architectural and engineering principles and best practices are defined, understood, agreed and adhered to.
- Actively participating in all team events, leading where specialist knowledge in required, and supporting the team to improve their process through inspection and adaptation.
- Building and maintaining an agile culture of continuous delivery and improvement, with a focus on frequently releasing high quality, tested, working software.
- Creating and maintaining an appropriate level of documentation, including architectural roadmaps and technical options assessments that can be effectively used to communicate to the team and wider stakeholders the technical vision of the products.
- Championing ideas/changes/designs that you and/or the team believe are beneficial, influencing peers and key stakeholders as appropriate.
- Ensuring that developed software complies with non-functional requirements, such as accessibility, security, UI/UX, performance, maintainability, automated deployment, etc.
- Troubleshooting development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms, from the AWS-based modern stack to the multiple strands of ETL and database (legacy and otherwise) that underpins the service
- Coaching and mentoring other team members.
Some of these services may need to be provided outside of RoS' core business hours (07:30-17:30) in order to ensure continuity of service. The successful supplier is expected plan and manage their working hours accordingly
Essential Skills and Experience
- Java 11
- Spring Boot microservices
- Spring security and OAuth2
- Modern DevOps and CI/CD practices including deployment pipelines, Jenkins and Docker
- AWS IAM, Lambda, Aurora/Postgres
Significant and demonstrable commercial experience in the following areas:
- Technically leading a high-performing, cross-functional development team.
- Delivering high quality software collaboratively in high-performing, cross-functional development teams.
- Designing, gaining consensus, and implementing technical solutions for software development projects
- Developing within Digital First or GDS quality standards
- Ability to engage with stakeholders, understanding context and requirements, from diverse areas of a business including Product Management, Service Design, and Operations
- Introduction of new or improved processes in development environments
- Developing solutions using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive design practices
- Designing and implementing solutions using service and event-based architectures
- Using testing tools for unit testing, including system test automation frameworks
- Using Test Driven Development (TDD) and Pair Programming to produce high quality, maintainable code
- Using Consumer Driver Contract Testing to verify system behaviour
- Cloud monitoring, telemetry, intelligence tools and processes, specifically Grafana and Kibana
- Incrementally replacing enterprise legacy systems
- Working in Agile delivery models
- Defining infrastructure as code
- Using UI pattern libraries to achieve consistent, tested and high-quality interfaces
- Designing and developing with relational and NoSQL databases, particularly Mongo and Postgres
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of the Scottish Land Registration process
- Python 2.7/3.x
- AWS S3, API Gateway, Messaging and Queuing
- AWS CDK and AWS based CI/CD pipelines