- £500 - £527 per annum + Outside IR35
- Job Type
- Tara Hibbott
Technical Lead x2 (Java, AWS, DevOps) - Remote
£527 per day (Outside IR35)
Remote, site visits to Edinburgh once or twice a month preferable but not required
6 month duration
Main outcomes & objectives
* Lead the continued development and support of Mapping domain products in line with the product and architecture roadmaps with a view to improving digital sustainability and tackling areas of architectural and technical debt.
* Collaborating with colleagues from Product Management and Service Design to prioritise the backlog by providing insight into the architectural roadmap and the technical benefits that changes will achieve
* Extend and sustain the high-quality support procedures, dashboards, monitoring and deployment capabilities to ensure the team can continue to improve services via feedback. Requirement for technical lead services
* Technically lead the development team in both their tactical and strategic work to ensure the team delivers a cohesive solution that is well-architected and designed in line with organisation engineering principles and best practices.
* Actively participating in the Architecture Steering Group and wider community, ensuring that architectural and engineering principles and best practices are defined, understood, agreed and adhered to.
* Actively participating in all team events, leading where specialist knowledge in required, and supporting the team to improve their process through inspection and adaptation.
* Building and maintaining an agile culture of continuous delivery and improvement, with a focus on frequently releasing high quality, tested, working software.
* Creating and maintaining an appropriate level of documentation, including architectural roadmaps and technical options assessments that can be effectively used to communicate to the team and wider stakeholders the technical vision of the products.
* Championing ideas/changes/designs that you and/or the team believe are beneficial, influencing peers and key stakeholders as appropriate.
* Ensuring that developed software complies with non-functional requirements, such as accessibility, security, UI/UX, performance, maintainability, automated deployment, etc.
* Troubleshooting development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms, from the AWS-based modern stack to the multiple strands of ETL and database (legacy and otherwise) that underpins the service
* Coaching and mentoring other team members. Some of these services may need to be provided outside of core business hours (07:30-17:30) in order to ensure continuity of service.
Essential skills & experience
Significant commercial experience in the following technology:
* Java 11
* Spring boot Microservices
* Spring Security and OAuth2
* AWS Lambda, S3, SQS, Cloud Formation, Aurora/Postgres, API Gateway, CDK
* Modern DevOps and CI/CD practices including deployment pipelines and Jenkins Significant and demonstrable commercial experience in the following areas:
* Technically leading a high-performing, cross-functional development team.
* Designing, gaining consensus, and implementing technical solutions for software development projects
* Developing within Digital First or GDS quality standards
* Ability to engage with stakeholders, understanding context and requirements, from diverse areas of a business including Product Management, Service Design, and Operations
* Introduction of new or improved processes in development environments
* Developing solutions using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive design practices
* Designing and implementing solutions using service and event-based architectures
* Using testing tools for unit testing, including system test automation frameworks
* Cloud monitoring, telemetry, intelligence tools and processes, including Grafana
* Using verbal and visual communication to explain complex topics concisely to both technical and non-technical audiences
* Incrementally replacing enterprise legacy systems
* Working in Agile delivery models
* Defining infrastructure as code
* Coaching and training other developers and team members
Desirable skills & experience
- Demonstrable experience in successful data migration initiatives
- Demonstrable experience in transitional architectures