Web Ops Engineer
Onside at base Location in Portsmouth.
£700-800 per day to include expenses to base location within a 25 mile radius. Additional expenses only paid when prior approval of the Authority outside the 25 mile radius.
Active SC clearance is mandatory.
A Web Operations Engineer is required by our Digital Services to provide operational support and build engineering capability in our ashore and afloat Cloud hosting domains. The role will encompass physical & virtual server management including hypervisor management, underpinning our Infrastructure as a Service Cloud solution.
A s well as working with their immediate peer group the Web Operations Engineer will work with multiple teams including our security team, developers, application support teams and others as required. The engineer will also engage with external 3rd party vendors for support & problem remediation purposes.
The Engineer will have no direct management responsibility but may be expected to collaborate with and provide direction to internal stakeholders.
The Engineer will provide through life operational support and build engineering capability across our shared infrastructure platforms which provide IaaS
- Build/run/decommission of virtualised Linux and Windows servers.
- Preventative systems maintenance, including planning & executing patch & firmware management.
- Documenting changes including checkpoints, milestones & rollback options.
- Pro-active analysis of guests & hypervisor to make tuning & optimal configuration recommendations.
- Identifying opportunities for automation in the estate and subsequently writing scripts to realise efficiencies.
- Assisting in delivery, coordination & planning of project activities.
- Documenting procedures.
- Physical installation and decommission of equipment in the fixed and deployed domains.
- Demonstrable experience working in an enterprise environment supporting and running on-prem IaaS and PaaS cloud stacks.
- Demonstrable experience of managing VMware in a large scale multi tenanted environment
- Demonstrable administrative experience with VMWare Cloud Foundation (VCF), vSphere, ESXi, vCenter, vSAN, NSX-T networking and the vRealize suite.
- Administrative experience of Active directory
- Proficient experience with at least one of the following OS variants: Windows and/or Ubuntu Linux
- Proficient experience with at least one of the following management tools: WSUS and/or APT Mirror
- Experience of security hardening of operating systems to CIS benchmark using CIS-CAT
- Demonstrable experience & working knowledge of TCP/IP LAN/WAN networking principles
- Experience of automation tooling with at least two of the following; ansible, terraform, Jenkins
- Writing code/scripts with at least one of the following languages: bash, python, powershell.
- Demonstrable experience of administering software version controls systems such as BitBucket or similar
- Experience managing virtual backup solutions such as Veeam & Data Domain (other enterprise backup solutions considered)
- Demonstrable experience administering object and network file storage and data archiving
- Comfortable carrying out technical authoring and documentation such as process & procedure and technical design artefacts.
- Experience of raising and managing support calls with 3rd party technology vendors service providers.
- 3rd line problem & incident management experience in an enterprise environment
- Degree level education within technical discipline
- As a minimum must be SC cleared
- Recent experience (<12 months) of working on a UK MoD programme in a technical role
- Basic experience of Cisco networking and NSX-T integration, ideally Cisco ACI
- Basic experience and working awareness of security standard JSP604 and/or JSP480
- Administrative experience with Dell VXrail Hyper-converged infrastructure or equivalent
- Basic experience configuring and supporting Microsoft IIS version 8.0/10.0
- Basic experience configuring and supporting Microsoft SQL Server
- Basic configuration experience of containerisation/micro-segmentation (Docker and/or Kubernetes)
- Basic experience implementing Protective monitoring SIEM (e.g. Solarwinds or equivalent)
- Rudimentary awareness of configuration and asset management
- Basic working knowledge of object and network file storage and data archiving
- Basic Juniper & Fortinet Firewall experience (design and deploy)
- Basic experience of core services such as: DNS, NTP, DHCP, certificate management